Community capacity building programs provide the opportunity to combat the potentially destructive nature of refugee and settlement experiences. Goals which seek recovery from these experiences are inherent in community capacity building, including:
- Restoring a feeling of safety
- Enhancing control over life
- Reducing fear and anxiety
- Restoring connections to other people
- Providing emotional support and care
- Restoring a sense of meaning and purpose to life
- Restoring a sense of dignity
The first project within the Community Capacity Building Program commenced in January 2004, funded by ANZ Trustees Strategic Impact Program. The project, “Talin Mabath” (Union is Strength) supports the South Sudanese community in the St. Albans area.
Enquiries about the project should be addressed to the Community Development Coordinator.